Middlesex addition...

Above is a drawing for an addition that we did  in Middlesex. It is a 2 car garage/mudroom/bath addition. The site ended up having a lot of ledge and to accommodate the drainage we have a stepped foundation that follows the site grade. The bathroom has warmboard hydronic radiant floor heat, tile floor and wainscot and a curbless shower with heated floor and bench. Roman tub with wall mount faucets.

There is a wedge shaped connector between the mudroom and garage to allow the garage to sit at a good angle for pulling in and to give the building footprint a more dynamic shape. This was a design that greatly benefitted from 3D design as we went through a number of ideas before settling on this one and being able to see the project in 3 dimensions helped the design team and client decide what worked best visually and functionally. This project also benefited  from design savvy owners as they were highly involved in creating a number of aesthetic decisions.

Montpelier half bath

Renovation of half bathroom in progress. Bathroom is about 4'x4' with a 2'x2' little alcove in it. The sink above is in the little alcove. My favorite thing about this style of toilet is how easy they are to clean since the base is all one solid plane. Have also installed 12" Vermont slate tile. The new wainscoting is clear pine painted white.

Mother in-law house renovation...

IMG_1508-300x225.jpg

This 600 ft2 house was originally built as a camp and then added onto. Major demo work, moving and removing walls, removing carpet, repairing subfloor. Old chimney was torn out. New plumbing. Upgraded insulation in walls and air sealing on many walls. Added a bath fan for ventilation/moisture. Blocking up doors and windows. Laid a solid wood floor and tile for the bath floor and shower surround. Installed a stacked washer/dryer behind a bi-fold door in the bathroom. It was all topped off with a marble counter and stainless/black appliances. The customer noted that the solid surface stove has made an excellent small house extra counter space for cooking projects.

IMG_1509-300x225.jpg
IMG_1315-300x225.jpg
 Before

Before

 Before

Before

September...

This past month has been spent in the midst of replacement windows and some renovation work on an apartment in Waterbury. Nothing that is really visually exciting enough to be photo worthy. The lack of aesthetic excitement has turned the mind toward some of the basic issues behind the work. When refinishing a floor it was clear that our sanding was to be the last one in the life of this 100 year old floor. SO...how best to preserve this floor? What is the greenest option? I am generally a fan of the Vermont Coatings floor finish but personally do not believe that it is anywhere near as durable as an oil based poly. So the choice was made to go with the oil knowing that when this floor needs help again it will have to be torn up. That way the wood will have a much longer useful life and that seems more important than saving the VOC and petroleum action from occuring in this case.

In the same apartment there was a tub surround that had failed due to tile on drywall accompanied by failing caulk. The question in this case was should we re-tile or replace the old set up with an acrylic unit. About the same cost either way. We decided to go for rebuilding the wall and insulating it properly followed by tile with epoxy grout. That way we eliminated the dumping of the old tub and the use of a lot of extra plastic.

These are the kinds of things that go on in the background of every job.